Over the years and generations, the major console companies have tried to innovate with their hardware, to offer new experiences completely different from what we have seen before, either by trying to boost the graphics or through the possibility of playing in completely new ways. And one of the elements that is given the most importance by the main companies is the controls that accompany their consoles, as well as the different features they offer.
Without going any further, in the case of PlayStation we have seen how Sony has opted to offer something different with the DualSense compared to what was seen in the Dualshock 4, adding a new haptic vibration system and adaptive triggers, which offer a more immersive sensation. deep. However, during this generation, the case of Microsoft has been completely different. on this occasion Those from Redmond have chosen to offer a truly continuous device Compared to the previous model, adding some details required by the community, but without major changes in the experience.
The reason for this commitment to continuity is that the Xbox controller has always been considered one of the best (at least since the days of Xbox 360), and that is why the company limited itself to incorporating improvements such as the share button or the textured grips. . However, despite the lack of innovation, the Xbox controller is still a fantastic option for gaming on both console and PC, and best of all, if we are looking for a cheap alternative to the Xbox Series X | S controllerwe can find devices that offer a fairly similar experience.
What to consider when buying a cheap alternative to the Xbox Series X | S controller?
When looking to get a cheap controller for our console or PC Gaming, it is important to take into account some essential considerations for our decision. Especially, we must consider whether the controller that we are going to acquire is going to be our main game tool, or if we want it as a secondary controller option, since the requirements that we may require will be different depending on the case. Next, we are going to detail some aspects to take into account.
- Design: Although most third-party controllers are officially licensed by Xbox, which means that they choose to go for a design identical to that seen on the original controller; the truth is that there are devices that offer completely different designs. This can be seen both in the shape of the controller and in the layout of the buttons (more specifically on the sticks). For this reason, it is important to pay attention to this aspect, since it can have a direct impact on our gaming experience.
- Condemned to play with cable: Contrary to what happens with professional or more expensive controllers, most cheap alternatives opt for devices that have to be connected by cable, so as not to have to make sacrifices in other aspects. However, and despite how cumbersome it is to use a cable these days, the truth is that they usually offer several meters in length, so that our experience is not tarnished when playing at a considerable distance from our console or computer.
- Additional buttons: Despite being cheaper devices than the original controller, some manufacturers choose to add a series of extra buttons that are completely configurable, or that serve to have quick access to elements such as the sound of the chat or the game itself. It is precisely for this reason that we mentioned that manufacturers prefer to offer a wired experience, to try to put a greater number of functionalities in our hands.
- Grip matters: Another aspect to highlight is the type of grip that the controller will have. As we have said, one of the novelties that Microsoft incorporated into the official Xbox Series X|S controller was the textured grip, something that considerably improves its ergonomics, especially if we are players who sweat a lot through their hands. In this sense, manufacturers offer different types of grips, from flat to textured to others that are more premium with materials that even allow slight cooling.
- The crosshead, that great forgotten: Finally, the last element to which we must pay attention is the type of crosshead that incorporates the control. Although in general the crossheads of third-party controls are usually all very similar to each other, there are some brands that have chosen to incorporate a crosshead similar to the one we find on the Xbox Series X | S controls. Therefore, if we are lovers of the fighting genre, we must take a look at the type of crosshead we want.
What cheap alternative to the official Xbox Series X | S controller to buy? Tips and recommendations
PDP Wired control Electric White
If we look for a Economic controller for Xbox Series X | S with official license, and we do not want to sacrifice any element, this PDP brand model is a good option. The highlight of this controller is its design, as it offers a slightly squarer finish than the official controller, in addition to playing with a very striking white and electric green design.
The command incorporates integrated audio support, since thanks to the button located below the right joystick it will be used to control game or chat audio levels. Also, if we use it on PC, we can reassign the buttons to our liking through the official PDP application. Finally, it should be noted that this model is compatible with Xbox One, Xbox Series X | S and PC. On Amazon for 29.49 euros.
PDP Wired Controller Electric White for Xbox Series X|S, Gamepad, Video Game Controller, Gaming, Xbox One, Officially Licensed – Xbox Series X
Wired controller PowerA
The second of the cheapest options we found is this PowerA model. Unlike the previous model, this device chooses to imitate the design in a practically identical way to the official remote, with the small exception of the upper part that protrudes and where the cable is connected and that does not include textured grip.
The device has two double vibration motors, which will serve to offer an immersive experience similar to the level found in the official command. In addition, we will not miss any function, since we will have all the buttons, such as the share button. Finally, it should be noted that it is compatible with both Xbox One, Xbox Series X | S and PC consoles. On Amazon for 35.90 euros.
Power A, PowerA Wired Controller for Xbox Series X|S – Black
8BitDo Pro 2
This command is the most different alternative that we can find today. The device has a design that is more reminiscent of a PlayStation controller than one from Xbox, especially due to the layout of the buttons, since we find the joysticks located symmetrically, contrary to what happens with the official Xbox controls.
However, do not be fooled by its design, since 8BitDo offers a great level of customization with the device, since we will be able to modify aspects such as the sensitivity of the triggers or the vibration control, in addition to creating different game profiles. As if that were not enough, this model incorporates a textured grip, so it will be more comfortable to use in long gaming sessions. On Amazon for 48.78 euros.
8BitDo Pro 2 Wired Controller for Xbox Series XXBox Series SXbox 0ne and Windows
Nacon Pro Compact Controller
Once again, we are faced with a command that is committed to a somewhat different design from that of the original command. On this occasion, the differences are seen in the grips, which will be thinner, as well as in the layout of the central buttons, with the “share” located at the bottom of the remote, and the central buttons oriented more to the sides. In addition, the joystick mushrooms have a custom Nacon design.
Specifically, the command is 15% smaller than the official Xbox controller. They are compatible with Dolby Atmos, and the brand has an official application in the Microsoft Store where we can customize the button configuration, the joystick adjustment or the sensitivity of the triggers, among other things. Now on Amazon for 42.90 euros.
Nacon – XBOX Pro Compact Controller, White
Spectra Infinity by PowerA
This PowerA model is a small step forward compared to the previous device that we saw from the brand. Although it is true that the exterior design of the controller is identical to the model that we mentioned before, on this occasion PowerA has opted to include LED lighting both in the buttons and in the joysticks and the crosshead.
In addition, it has an addition that will have a direct impact on our gaming experience, such as the four back buttons, or the rails that we find to configure the sensitivity of the triggers. And as if that were not enough, on the front we have a button with which to ergonomically control the volume of our games. On Amazon for 49.99 euros.
Power A, PowerA Spectra Infinity Wired Controller for Xbox Series X|S
This Gamesir brand device is one of the ones that offers us the most customization options. The device It has two magnetic housings that will allow us to change the appearance of the remote quickly and comfortably, without the need to use screws. In addition, it includes a textured rear grip that will be ideal when playing.
At the functionality level, it incorporates two configurable rear buttons, to adapt them to the game experience that we want. It incorporates two different motors to choose a strong or subtle vibration, in addition to also having another two in the trigger area to offer better feedback. And as if that were not enough, with his way hair trigger we can shorten the travel of the triggers. On Amazon for 59.99 euros.
GameSir G7 Custom Wired Game Controller for Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Interchangeable Faceplates Gamepad for PC Windows 10/11, Officially Licensed – Xbox
Turtle Beach Recon Controller Black
Finally, we are talking about the most complete option of all. The device created by Turtle Beach has the best finishes of all that we have seen, with a grip that incorporates a cooling system to keep our hands cool and dry during our gaming sessions, as well as a texturing in the trigger area. As for the shape of the command, it remains exactly the same as the official command.
The highlight of the device is the audio panel that it incorporates, with which we can have much deeper control of everything related to sound. Besides, includes Superhuman Hearing mode, which serves to enhance sounds such as the footsteps or the reloads of our enemies. In addition, it also includes two customizable back buttons. On Amazon for 59.99 euros.
Turtle Beach Recon Controller Black – Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and PC
Images | Kamil S on Unplash, Lang on Unplash, PDP, Power A, 8BitDo, Nacon, GameSir, Turtle Beach
In VidaExtra Selection| You can now buy the Starfield controller for Xbox: run before they run out
In ExtraLife| Wired gaming mice: the seven best models you can buy for less than 60 euros